BFA, BA, Hons BSc, MScBMC, CMI
Room 328, Health Sciences Complex
About Michael Corrin
Michael Corrin graduated from Concordia University with a BFA in 2002, and then went on to complete a BA and Hons BSc at the University of Winnipeg in 2004. Following his undergraduate studies, he went on to receive a Master of Science in Biomedical Communications from the University of Toronto. He currently teaches foundation courses in digital media production and illustration, including the surgical illustration subsection of MSC2001Y.
Michael also works as a member of the Perioperative Interactive Education (PIE) group in the Department of Anaesthesia and Pain Management at Toronto General Hospital. This group creates and evaluates online teaching tools for residents and fellows.
- Professional education
- The design of optimized virtual learning environments; In particular, those that include interactive computer-mediated three-dimensional objects.
- Corrin, M., Vegas A. & G. Tait. Web-based Transesophageal Echocardiography Simulator.
See some examples of Michael’s visual work in the Showcase page.
- Gauthier, A., and M. Corrin (2013) Exploring How the Incorporation of Video Game Design Elements Into An Online Thoracic Vasculature Study Aid Affects Use Patterns of Undergraduate Anatomy Students. Journal of Biocommunication. 39(2). E51- E56.
- Vegas, A., Meineri, M., Jerath, A., Corrin, M., Silversides, C. and G Tait. (2012) The impact of an online TEE exam simulation on learning to navigate the 20 standard views. Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia 27(3): 531-5.
- Turcotte, M., Corrin, M. & M. Johnson (2012) Adaptive Evolution in Ecological Communities. PLoS Biology. 10(5): 1-6.
- Jerath, A., Vegas, A., Meineri, M., Silversides, C., Feindel, C., Beattie, C., Corrin, M. and G. Tait (2011) An interactive online 3D model of the heart assists in learning standard transesophageal echocardiography views. Canadian Journal of Anaesthesia. 58(1): 14-21.
- Corrin, M. Contemporary methods in medical educational image creation. in Hui, P. & S. Dai (Editors) (2010) Digital imaging technology and its application in Medicine. Peking Union Medical College Press: Beijing, China.
- Elashaal, A.A., Corrin, M., and M.D. Cusimano. (2010) Cerebrospinal fluid shunts insertion: techniques of peritoneal catheter placement separate from abdominal fascial and peritoneal incisions. Journal of Neurosurgery. 113(1): 79-81.
- Meineri, M., A. Vegas, A. Jerath, M. Corrin, C. Silversides and G. Tait. The impact of an online simulation of a TEE exam on learning to navigate the twenty standard views. (Poster Presentation) European Association of Cardiothoracic Anesthesiologists Annual Meeting 2011. June 1-4, 2011. Vienna, Austria. (1st Prize for poster presentation)
- Fung, A., Jenkinson, J., Corrin, M. Tait, G. McCready, D.R., Cil, T. A 3D computer animation to enhance surgical resident understanding of the axillary lymph node dissection (ALND) procedure. 29th Annual Assembly of General Surgeons, Thursday May 27, 2010. Toronto, Ontario.
- Corrin, M. Creating photorealistic textures for anatomical structures in Maxon Cinema4D. Association of Medical Illustrators Conference. July 30, 2010. Portland, Oregon.
- Cheung, G., Sheng, W., Shapton, K. and M. Corrin. Biomedical games: designing learning experiences for the next generation. Association of Medical Illustrators Conference. July 30, 2010. Portland, Oregon.
- Meineri, M., A. Vegas, M. Corrin, G Tait and WS Beattie. Virtual Transesophageal Echocardiography: An Online simulation of TEE exam. (Poster Presentation) Society for Simulation in Healthcare annual meeting, Phoenix AZ, January 24, 2010.
- Al-Qadhi, S., N. Constas, M. Corrin and J. Pirie. 2009. Innovative Pediatric Chest Tube Insertion Bench Model Simulation, a Usability Study of the Pilot Model. (Poster Presentation)
- Al-Qadhi, S, N. Artinian, M. Corrin and J. Pirie. Pediatric Chest Tube Insertion Trainer Pediatric Emergency Research Canada (PERC) Conference. 26th January 2009. Calgary, Alberta.
- Vegas, A. , M. Meineri, M. Corrin, and G Tait. Online Teaching Aid For The 20 Standard Diagnostic TEE Views (Poster Presentation) June 16, 2008. Halifax, Nova Scotia.
- Kryski, D., Wiley, M.J., Jenkinson, J., Woolridge, N., Corrin, M., and B. Sutherland. Enhancing medical students’ spatial understanding of complex gross anatomy with a web-based, three-dimensional model of the pterygopalatine fossa (Poster presentation) 25th Annual Meeting of the American Association of Clinical Anatomists. July 16, 2008. Toronto, Ontario.
- Vegas, A., Corrin, M. and G. Tait. 2007. VITRUAL TEE: An online tool for teaching trans-esophageal echocardiography. Wilson Centre Research Day. Toronto, Ontario.
- Corrin, M., Huang, Q., Kim, S., Mason, C. and L. Lax. From the classroom to the courtroom. Association of Medical Illustrators Conference. August 2006. Boston, Mass.